A simple precise, rapid accurate and sensitive non-aqueous potentiometric titration method was developed for quantitative determination of bromhexine hydrochloride from pharmaceutical dosage form. The titration was carried out using standardized 0.1 N perchloric acid. The proposed method was found to be precise with % RSD <1 (n = 6). The method showed strict linearity (r2 > 0.9999) between 50 % to 250 % of 0.100 mg of drug substance weight. The percentage recovery of bromhexine hydrochloride in the optimized method was between 99.38 to 99.76 %. The method is also found to be rugged when checked by different analysts and using different lots of reagents and different makes of titrators.
Cite this article:
Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. A Validated Non-Aqueous Potentiometric titration method for quantitative determination of Bromhexine hydrochloride from Pharmaceutical Preparation. Asian J. Research Chem. 2020; 13(4):249-252. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2020.00048.6
1. The United States Pharmacopoeia, United States Pharmacopoeia Convention, Inc, Rockville, USP 35 NF 30, Vol. I, II, III and IV; 2012: 2195-2198, 2202-2203.
2. Indian Pharmacopoeia, Controller of Publication, Delhi, Vol. I, II and III; 2010: 816-817, 921-923.
3. British Pharmacopoeia, British Pharmacopoeia Commission, Vol. I, II, III, IV and V; 2012: 154-156, 295-297, 2453-2456.
4. European Pharmacopoeia 10.0.; 2020:.1508
5. Rajan V. Rele and Rajesh N. Mali. Simultaneous determination of amoxicillin trihydrate and bromhexine hydrochloride in pharmaceutical dosage by reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography. Der Pharma Chemica, 5(1); 2013,:273-278.
6. Mounika K1, Lakshmana Rao A. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Bromhexine and Erythromycin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Indian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 3(2);2016:63-68.
7. Marwan Muwafaq Rijeb1, Khalaf. F. AL-Samarraee, High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for Determination of Bromhexine Hydrochloride in Pharmaceutical Syrups Sample, International Journal of Science and Research, 6(5);2017:1850-1859.
8. Satyanarayana. P.V.V., Murali.M. and Venkateswara Rao.P., Simultaneous determination of Terbutaline and Bromhexine in Combined Pharmaceutical Dosage Form by RP-HPLC Method, International Journal of ChemTech Research, 4(1); 2012: 240-246.
9. Hirak V. Joshi, Shah Ujash A., J. K. Patel, S. M. Patel. Development and validation of analytical method for simultaneous estimation of bromhexine HCl and enrofloxacine in combined pharmaceutical dosage form. Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 12(8); 2017:1631-1638.
10. Sivagami B, Nagaraju B, Pavan kumar V, Sireesha R and Chandrasekar R. RP-HPLC method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of diphenhydramine and bromhexine in tablet dosage forms. Ann Chromatogr Sep Tech. 4(1); 2018: 1034.
11. M.Vijeyaanandhi.et al. Method development and validation for terbutaline sulfate, guaifenesin and bromhexine hydrochloride in a syrup formulation by ion pair RP-HPLC, Analytical Chemistry, An Indian Journal. 5(1-6); 2007:108-118.
12. Nabeel S. Othman Shilan A. Omer, Indirect spectrophotometric method for determination of bromhexine-hydrochloride in pharmaceutical preparations. Raf. Jour. Sci., 19 (2);2008:16 - 27.
13. S.V. Murali Mohan Rao et.al. The assay of bromhexine hydrochloride in pharamaceutical formulation by extraction spectrophotometry. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, 12; 2005: 170-174.
14. K. Susmitha, M. Thirumalachary, and G. Venkateshwarlu. Spectrophotometric determination of bromhexine hcl in pure and pharmaceutical forms. ISRN Analytical Chemistry, 2013, Article ID 861851, 7 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/861851
15. Rajan V. Rele. Simultaneous UV-spectrophotometric estimation of bromhexine hydrochloride and salbutamol sulphate by area under curve method in combined dosage form. Der Pharmacia Sinica, 6(5); 2015:8-14.
16. Salim A. Mohammed Rana F. Almukhtar. Indirect spectrophotometric method for determination of bromhexine-hcl in pharmaceutical preparations. Raf. J. Sci. 27(2); 2018:116-126, 2018.
17. K. Siddappa*, Prashant C. Hanamshetty. Spectrophotometric quantitative determination of bromhexine hydrochloride in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form using p-nitrobenzaldehyde reagent. International Journal of. Pharmaceutical Sciences. Review and Research, 39(2); 2016; 260-265.
18. Rajan V. Rele. Simultaneous UV-spectrophotometric estimation of bromhexine hydrochloride and salbutamol sulphate by third order derivative Method in combined pharmaceutical dosage form. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 8(3); 2016:289-294.
19. Rajan V. Rele Assay of amoxicillin trihydrate and bromhexine hydrochloride by UV spectrophotometric third order derivative method in combined dosage form. Research journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 6(4);2017: 1-5.
20. Rajan V. Rele and Prathamesh P. Tiwatane. Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation of amoxicillin trihydrate and bromhexine hydrochloride by second order derivative method in combined dosage form. International Journal of Chemical. Science, 13(1); 2015: 441-449.
21. V. Padmaja and M. Prasanthi. Stability indicating uplc method for simultaneous estimation of albuterol sulphate, theophylline and bromhexine in bulk and combined dosage form. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 10(5): 2019 2403-2411.
22. Dhoka M. et.al.. Simultaneous estimation of amoxicillin trihydrate and bromhexine hydrochloride in oral solid dosage forms by spectrophotometric method. J. Mex. Chem. Soc., 55(2); 2011: 79 – 83.
23. Rajan V. Rele, S.S. Zarapkar and V.M. Shah. Simple spectrophotometric methods for estimation of bromhexine hydrochloride. Indian Drugs, 26(1); 1988: 38-41.
24. Rele R.V., S.S. Zarapkar and V.J. Doshi. A simple extractive colorimetric determination of Three drug from pharmaceutical preparations. Indian Drugs, 24(12);1987: 560- 564.
25. G. Alagumanivasagam. Formulation and evaluation of immediate release of bromhexine hydrochloride tablets, Inernational Journal of Farmacia, (4)3; 2018: 85-89.
26. Rajan V. Rele and Prathamesh P. Tiwatane. A Validated Non-Aqueous Potentiometric Titration Method for Quantitative Determination Of Terbutaline Sulphate From Pharmaceutical Preparation, Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry,13(2); 2020: 82-84.
27. Rajan V. Rele, Prathamesh P. Tiwatane, A non-aqueous potentiometric titration method for validation of imatinib mesylate from pharmaceutical dosages. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 12(6); 2019: 307-310.