Simple sensitive and accurate extractive spectrophotometric methods have developed for the estimation of favipiravir in pharmaceutical dosage form. The methods are based on the formation of coloured complexes by the drug with reagents like bromophenol blue, solochrome dark blue and bromocresol green in acidic medium. The ion associated complexes were formed and quantitatively extracted under the experimental condition in chloroform. The absorbance values were measured at 420nm, 495nm and 430nm respectively. The proposed methods were validated statistically. Recoveries of methods were carried out by standard addition methods. The linearity was found to be 1.0-12.0µg/ml, 2-20µg/ml, 1-16µg/ml for methods 1, 2 and 3 respectively. The low values of standard deviation and percentage RSD indicate high precision of methods. Hence these methods are useful for routine estimation of favipiravir in tablets.
Cite this article:
Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Simple Extractive Spectrophotometric Method for Determination of Favipiravir from Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2022; 15(4):299-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00053
Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Simple Extractive Spectrophotometric Method for Determination of Favipiravir from Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2022; 15(4):299-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00053 Available on: https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-4-10
1. Sohrabi, C., Alsafi, Z.; O’Neill, N.; Khan, M.; Kerwan, A.; Al-Jabir, A.;et al. World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Int. J. Surg., 76;2020:, 71–76.
2. Zhu, R. F.; Gao, R. I.; Robert, S. H.; Gao, J. P.; Yang, S. G.; Zhu, C. Systematic review of the registered clinical trials of coronavirus diseases 2019 (COVID-19), J. Transl. Med. 18;2020: 274–279.
3. Prajapat, M.; Sarma, P.; Shekhar, N.; Avti, P.; Sinha, S.; Kaur, H.; et al. Drug targets for corona virus: A Systematic Review. Indian J. Pharm. 52(1); 2020: 56–63.
4. Dong, L.; Hu, S.; Gao, J. Discovering drugs to treat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Drug Discov. Ther. 14(1);2020: 58–60.
5. De Clercq, E. New nucleoside analogues for the treatment of hemorrhagic fever virus infections. Chem.–Asian Journal. 14(22); 2019: 3962–3968.
6. Delang, L.; Abdelnabi, R.; Neyts, J. Favipiravir as a potential countermeasure against neglected and emerging RNA viruses. Antiviral Research. 153;2018: 85–94.
7. Chen, C.; Huang, J.; Cheng, Z.; Wu, J.; Chen, S.; Zhang, Y.; et al. Favipiravir versus arbidol for COVID-19: A randomized clinical trial, medRxiv. 3; 2020: 17–20.
8. Ibrahim Bulduk, HPLC-UV method for quantification of favipiravir in pharmaceutical Formulations, Acta Chromatographica 2020:1-7 DOI: 10.1556/1326.2020.00828.
9. R. Suzuki, Y. Osaka, Quantitative Analysis of Favipiravir Spiked in Plasma Using by HPLC, Shimadzu excellence in science, application news no L 570, http://www.shimadzu.com/about/ trademarks/index.html.
10. China patent. A kind of Favipiravir has the HPLC assay method of related substance. 21.09.2016. (CN104914185B)
11. China patent HPLC method for measuring related substances in Favipiravir. 16.09.2015. (CN104914185A).
12. Journal.pntd.0005389 Thi Huyen Tram Nguyen and et.al. Favipiravir pharmacokinetics in Ebola-Infected patients of the JIKI trial reveals concentrations lower than targeted. 23; 2017: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0005389.
13. Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Determination of Favipiravir from Pharmaceutical Dosage Form by Extractive Ion Pair Complex Colorimetric Method. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 14(5),2021:321-323.
14. Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. A Validated Potentiometric Titration Method for Quantitative Determination of Favipiravir from Pharmaceutical Preparation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry 15(1): 2022;49-51.
15. Rajan V. Rele and et.al, A simple extractive colorimetric determination of three drug from pharmaceutical preparations. Indian Drugs. 24(12); 1987:560-564.
16. Rajan V. Rele, Pankaj Gurav. A simple extractive spectrophotometric determination of loradatadine desloratadine and rupatadine from pharmaceutical formulation. International Journal of Pharma and Biosciences. 3(2);2012 :89-92.