Prednisolone is a widely used synthetic glucocorticoid drug used in the treatment of allergies, inflammatory conditions, auto-immune disorders, acute and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, dermatitis, eye inflammation, asthma and multiple sclerosis. A simple and economical method was developed using eco-friendly green solvent. In this developed method the eco-friendly green solvent used was ethanol which is available easily. The method was projected to quantitative estimation and assay of Prednisolone in Prednisolone dispersible tablet dosage form. The amount and percent label claim of Prednisolone in tablet dosage form was estimated using Beer-Lambert’s law. Specific absorbance (A1%1cm) of Prednisolone is 415 at lambda max of 243 nm. The method developed was validated as per ICH guidelines. The proposed method was found to be simple, accurate, sensitive, precise, linear and rugged. The method obeys Beer-Lambert’s Law in the concentration range of 2.5-20µg/mL, as the r2 value was found to be 1.000. The mean percent recovery was found to be within acceptable range as per ICH guidelines. Hence the developed method can be used in regular quantitative analysis. The developed method acquires only one green solvent, low cost analytical equipment and the percent label claim can be calculated in the assay of Prednisolone tablets without using any standards solution or standard graph by just employing specific absorbance value in Beer-Lambert’s law, thereby concentration of drug can be calculated. As this method is simple, economical and eco-friendly it can be used elegantly and routinely in analytical laboratories and industries for estimation of Prednisolone in tablet formulation.
Cite this article:
Sana Tabassum, Ajitha M. Quantitative Spectrophotometric Estimation of Prednisolone in Tablet Dosage Form Using Eco-friendly Green Solvent and by applying Beer-Lambert’s Law Mathematical Equation Method. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021; 14(3):155-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00029
Sana Tabassum, Ajitha M. Quantitative Spectrophotometric Estimation of Prednisolone in Tablet Dosage Form Using Eco-friendly Green Solvent and by applying Beer-Lambert’s Law Mathematical Equation Method. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021; 14(3):155-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00029 Available on: https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-3-1
1. Tripathi KD Editor. Immunosuppressant Drugs. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Pvt. Ltd.2013; 7th ed: pp. 878-883.
2. Rajesh Yadav, Nita Yadav and Murli Dhar Kharya. Steroid Chemistry and Steroid Hormone Action: A Review. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry.2014; 7(11):964-969.
3. Prednisolone information from Wikipedia. Available from URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prednisolone
4. Australian Rheumatology Association. Patient Information on Prednisolone and Prednisone. Available from URL: https://rheumatology.org.au/patients/documents/Prednisolone_2016_005.pdf.
5. Susan Fernandes and Gerry McKay. Drug Notes on Prednisolone. Practical Diabetes_John and Wiley Sons.2013;30(6):251-252a.
6. Spandana K, Varun Teja Chary and Shivani M. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology.2019; 11(2):131-133.
7. Jowar Arvind, Jain Sarang and Jain Amit. A Systematic Review of the Incidence, Prevalence Work Limitations of Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Back Pain, Multiple Sclerosis. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2020; 12(3):103-110.
8. Tanaji Nandgude D, Priyajit Hasabe S and Anuja Kolsure K. Clinical Features and Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2018; 11(12):5701-5706.
9. Shikha Srivastava, Shatish Patel, Daharwal SJ, Deependra Singh and Manju Singh. Rheumatoid Arthritis: An Autoimmune Disease Prevalent in Females. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2016; 9(2):170-172.
10. Jasmine Kaur. Systemic Lupus Erythematous: A Case Study. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research.2015; 5(4):501-504.
11. United States Pharmacopoeia. Govt. of US. Pharmacopeial Forum: Vol No. 30(5). United States Pharmacopeial Convention. Monograph of Prednisolone from USP 32-NF 27. 2009; pp. 3368.
12. European Pharmacopoeia 6.0. Govt. of Europe. Pharmacopeia Euro pea. European Pharmacopoeia Commission. Monograph of Prednisolone from EP 6.0(0353E). 2008; pp. 2741-2742.
13. Drug Information on Prednisolone from Drug Bank. Available from URL: https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00860.
14. Sophie Samuel, Thuy Nguyen and Alex Choi H. Pharmacologic Characteristics of Corticosteroids. Journal of Neurocritical care.2017;10(2):53-59.
15. Thaminee S. Prednisolone in Alcoholic Liver Disorder. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2016; 9(11):2041-2042.
16. Beckett AH and Stenlake JB Editors. Ultraviolet-Visible Absorption Spectrophotometry. Practical Pharmaceutical Chemistry Part- two, CBS Publishers and distributors.2005; 4th ed: pp. 275-279.
17. Singh DK and Rohan Verma. Comparison of Second Derivative Spectrophotometric and Reverse phase HPLC methods for the determination of Prednisolone in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Analytical Sceinces.2007; 23:1241-1243.
18. Barot HN, Dave JB AND Patel CN. Development and Validation of Spectrophotometric Method for Simultaneous determination of Prednisolone Acetate and Ofloxacin in Eye-Drop. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research.2012; 3(6):1817-1821.
19. Bansari Patel D and Satish Patel A. Development and Validation of Dual Wavelength Spectrophotometric Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Ofloxacin and Prednisolone Acetate in Pharmaceutical Formulation. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research.2017; 6(4):1345-1354.
20. Selahattin Yilmaza, Slowomira Skrzypek, Yusuf Dilgin, Sultan Yagmur and Mahmut Coskun. Electrochemical Oxidation of Prednisolone at Glassy Carbon Electrode and Its Quantitative Determination in Human Serum and Tablets by Osteryoung Square Wave Voltammetry. Current Analytical Chemistry.2007; 3:41-46.
21. Raval Kashyap, Subrahmanyam EVS and Sharbaraya AR. Development and validation of UV spectroscopy method for the estimation of prednisolone in bulk and dosage form. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research.2012; 4(2):1090-1096.
22. Somsubhra Ghosh, Sathis Kumar D, Anirban Sahu, David Banji, Harani A, Krishna Chaitanya Ch, Kalapana M. Development and Validation for Prednisolone in Tablet Dosage Form by Reverse Phase-HPLC. Asian Journal of Chemistry.2011; 23(11):5092-5094.
23. Rajendra Goyal N and Sunita Bishnoi. Simultaneous Voltammetric determination of prednisone and prednisolone in human body fluids.Talanta.2009; 79(3):768-774.
24. Parag Kulkarni A and Pramod Kasture V. Spectrophotometric Simultaneous Estimation of Salbutamol and Prednisolone in Bulk and Formulation. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry.2010; 4(4):616-618.
25. Sohan Chitlange S, Kaushalendra Chaturvedi K, Sneha Tawargeri R and Sagar Wankhede B UV Spectroscopic and Stability-Indicating TLC- Densitometric Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Salbutamol sulphate and Prednisolone in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry.2011; 4(5):786-790.
26. Farheen F, Elango K., Devi Damayanthi R and Santhanalakshmi G. Formulation and Evaluation of Controlled Porosity Prednisolone Osmotic tablets for Colon Targeting. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2011; 4(7):1106-1110.
27. Indian Pharmacopoeia. Govt. of India Vol-III. Ghaziabad: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Published by The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission. 2010; pp. 1951-1952.
28. ICH Q2 (R1) Guidelines. Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology. Current Step 4Version.pp:1-17.Available from URL: https://database.ich.org/sites/default/files/Q2%28R1%29%20Guideline.pdf