Badiginchala Navya Sai, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Haranath Chinthaginjala, Bake Meharajunnisa, Siriguppa Dheeraj, Mallem Venkata Barath
Badiginchala Navya Sai1*, Hindustan Abdul Ahad2, Haranath Chinthaginjala1, Bake Meharajunnisa1, Siriguppa Dheeraj1, Mallem Venkata Barath2
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Raghavendra Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (RIPER)-Autonomous, Ananthapuramu-515001, AP, India.
2Department of Industrial Pharmacy, Raghavendra Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (RIPER)-Autonomous, Ananthapuramu-515001, AP, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
The goal of the current work was to explore the human organic cation uptake transporter and its critical function in biological transportation. The hOCT is extensively articulated in the liver and has been found to have a broad range of substrate selectivity, which is encoded by the SLC22A1 gene. OCT1 promotes molecular diffusion, enabling nutrients to enter the cell. OCT1 can aid in the absorption of drugs used to treat illnesses like cancer, according to recent research. Functionally impaired OCT1, whose appearance levels are associated with responses to a variety of medications, is the root cause of drug resistance. One of the important pharmacological targets employed in pharmacogenomic studies has recently been proposed as OCT1. The entire OCT1 gene contains a few single nucleotide polymorphisms. Also unknown are the specific changes or interactions with other proteins required for OCT1 to recognize a range of ligands. The authors presented the most recent OCT1 findings in this review to stimulate further investigation into this crucial uptake transporter.
Cite this article:
Badiginchala Navya Sai, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Haranath Chinthaginjala, Bake Meharajunnisa, Siriguppa Dheeraj, Mallem Venkata Barath. Human Organic Cation Transporter Use and Drug Target Responses. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry 2023; 16(3):205-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2023.00032
Badiginchala Navya Sai, Hindustan Abdul Ahad, Haranath Chinthaginjala, Bake Meharajunnisa, Siriguppa Dheeraj, Mallem Venkata Barath. Human Organic Cation Transporter Use and Drug Target Responses. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry 2023; 16(3):205-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2023.00032 Available on: https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-3-2
1. Kobayashi Y, Tsuchiya A, Hayashi T, Kohyama N, Ohbayashi M, Yamamoto T. Isolation and characterization of polyspecific mouse organic solute carrier protein 1 (mOscp1). Drug Metabolism and Disposition. 2007 Jul 1;35(7):1239-45.
2. Nies AT, Koepsell H, Damme K, Schwab M. Organic cation transporters (OCTs, MATEs), in vitro and in vivo evidence for the importance in drug therapy. Drug Transporters. 2011:105-67.
3. Koepsell H, Schmitt BM, Gorboulev V. Organic cation transporters. Reviews of Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology. 2003:36-90.
4. Del Alamo D, Sala D, Mchaourab HS, Meiler J. Sampling alternative conformational states of transporters and receptors with AlphaFold2. Elife. 2022 Mar 3;11:e75751.
5. Ahad HA, Haranath C, Tarun K, Krishna JV, Chandana N, Indrani B. Immuno-boosters as health accelerants to tackle viral infections. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2021;11(3):212-6.
6. Mindubayeva F, Niyazova Y, Nigmatullina R, Sadykova D, Akhmaltdinova L, Salikhova Y, Kadyrova I, Akhmetova M, Sabirova D. Membrane serotonin transporter as a Biomarker of Pulmonary arterial hypertension in children with Congenital Heart Defect. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(5): 2435-8.
7. Fouziya B, Ahad HA, Charan DS, Vidya JS, Reddy UC, Reddy PN. Fabrication and Evaluation of Cefpodoxime Proxetil Niosomes. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 May 25;12(2):109-12.
8. Iwamoto N, Abe-Dohmae S, Ayaori M, Tanaka N, Kusuhara M, Ohsuzu F, Yokoyama S. Atp-binding cassette transporter A1 gene transcription is downregulated by activator protein 2α: Doxazosin inhibits activator protein 2α and increases high-density lipoprotein biogenesis independent of an α1-adrenoceptor blockade. Circulation Research. 2007 Jul 20;101(2):156-65.
9. Kumar YB, Ahad HA, Haranath C, Sumanth G, Pasupuleti DS, Reddy SS. Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy: A quick note for every health care professional. (2020). Int. J. Life Sci. Pharma Res.;10(5):P84-89.
10. Haque AT, Adaikalasamy A, Cher EB, Ying RW, Haque M. Organ donation and transplantation: Awareness, attitude and aptitude of the UniKL-RCMP students, Malaysia. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015;8(10):1333-42.
11. Ahad HA, Haranath C, Kumar BP, Roy D, Dharani BH, Ayisha MU. A Desk Top Allusion to The Rare Orphan Diseases and Orphan Drugs: Possessions to Discern by Every Healthcare Professional. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021 Aug 14;11(3):247-52.
12. Prasad J, Dewangan H, Satapathy T. Signal Transduction Mechanism: A Critical Review. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2017 Dec 30;9(4):223-9.
13. Dhavale SS, Bhosle AV, Hardikar SR, Kotkar TR. Significance of P-Glycoproteins as a Transporter System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008 Dec 28;1(4):298-309.
14. Brosseau N, Ramotar D. The human organic cation transporter OCT1 and its role as a target for drug responses. Drug Metabolism Reviews. 2019 Oct 2;51(4):389-407.
15. Ahad HA, Chintaginjala H, Rahamathulla S, Rupasree A, Kumar AS, Pallavi BP. Pathfinder Nanosponges for Drug Targeting by Factorial Design: A Glance Review.
16. Pietig G, Mehrens T, Hirsch JR, Çetinkaya I, Piechota H, Schlatter E. Properties and regulation of organic cation transport in freshly isolated human proximal tubules. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2001 Sep 7;276(36):33741-6.
17. Ahad HA, Chinthaginjala H, Karar AM, Saeed MI, Alawad AK. Effective Management of Rare Lymphangioleiomyomatosis Using Sirolimus: Tablet Matrix with Hibiscus rosa sinensis Leave Mucilage.
18. Staines HM, Derbyshire ET, Slavic K, Tattersall A, Vial H, Krishna S. Exploiting the therapeutic potential of Plasmodium falciparum solute transporters. Trends in Parasitology. 2010 Jun 1;26(6):284-96.
19. Ashimatey BS, King BJ, Swanson WH. Functional characteristics of glaucoma related arcuate defects seen on OCT en face visualisation of the retinal nerve fibre layer. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics. 2021 Mar;41(2):437-46.
20. Hu DG, Marri S, McKinnon RA, Mackenzie PI, Meech R. Deregulation of the genes that are involved in drug absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion in hepatocellular carcinoma. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 2019 Mar 1;368(3):363-81.
21. Patel MD, Shah JS, Bhatt PA. P-Glycoprotein-A Unique Transporter Pump. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2011;3(5):241-5.
22. Ahad HA, Dasari RR, Haranath C, Gowthami M, Varam NJ, Sravanthi P. Bygone exertion on mucoadhesive bilayered tablets. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Nov 1;14(11):5991-2.
23. Joshi N, Roy RU, Sharma U. Carrier Facilitated Transport of Urea using Synthetic Noncyclic Receptors through Supported and Bulk Liquid Membrane Systems. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2014 Sep 28;7(9):795-8..
24. Pelis RM, Wright SH. SLC22, SLC44, and SLC47 transporters—organic anion and cation transporters: molecular and cellular properties. Current Topics in Membranes. 2014 Jan 1; 73:233-61.
25. Akasha R, Allaf AW, Al-Mardini MA. Characterization of the global metabolic profile of Canagliflozin in Rat plasma, urine and feces based on HPLCUV-MS Analysis. Matrix. 2020 Jan 27;1(654):624-521.
26. Arun S, Praveen D, Chowdary R, Aanandhi V. A Comprehensive Review on Sodium Glucose Co-Transporter-2 Inhibitors-Empagliflozin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 May 30;15(5):2376-80.
27. Ahad HA, Haranath C, Varam NJ, Ksheerasagare T, Krishna JV, Teja ST. Liver shielding activity of Ficus benghalensis fruit extracts contrary to perchloromethane prompted toxic hepatitis in New Zealand albino rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Jul 1;14(7):3739-43.
28. Zhang X, Shirahatti NV, Mahadevan D, Wright SH. A conserved glutamate residue in transmembrane helix 10 influences substrate specificity of rabbit OCT2 (SLC22A2). Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2005 Oct 14;280(41):34813-22.
29. Almén MS, Nordström KJ, Fredriksson R, Schiöth HB. Mapping the human membrane proteome: a majority of the human membrane proteins can be classified according to function and evolutionary origin. BMC Biology. 2009 Dec;7(1):1-4.
30. Pelis RM, Suhre WM, Wright SH. Functional influence of N-glycosylation in OCT2-mediated tetraethylammonium transport. American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology. 2006 May;290(5):F1118-26.
31. Ahad HA, Haranath C, Vikas SS, Varam NJ, Ksheerasagare T, Gorantla SP. A review on enzyme activated drug delivery system. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Jan 29;14(1):516-22.
32. Groves EM, Seto AH, Kern MJ. Invasive testing for coronary artery disease: FFR, IVUS, OCT, NIRS. Cardiology Clinics. 2014 Aug 1;32(3):405-17.
33. Zur D, Iglicki M, Busch C, Invernizzi A, Mariussi M, Loewenstein A, Cebeci Z, Chhablani JK, Chaikitmongkol V, Couturier A, Fraser-Bell S. OCT biomarkers as functional outcome predictors in diabetic macular edema treated with dexamethasone implant. Ophthalmology. 2018 Feb 1;125(2):267-75.
34. Yonezawa A, Inui KI. Organic cation transporter OCT/SLC22A and H+/organic cation antiporter MATE/SLC47A are key molecules for nephrotoxicity of platinum agents. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2011 Mar 1;81(5):563-8.
35. Christou EE, Stavrakas P, Batsos G, Christodoulou E, Stefaniotou M. Association of OCT-A characteristics with postoperative visual acuity after rhegmatogenous retinal detachment surgery: a review of the literature. International Ophthalmology. 2021 Jun;41(6):2283-92.
36. Christou EE, Stavrakas P, Kozobolis V, Katsanos A, Georgalas I, Stefaniotou M. Evaluation of the choriocapillaris after photodynamic therapy for chronic central serous chorioretinopathy. A review of optical coherence tomography angiography (OCT-A) studies. Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2022 Jan 19:1-3.
37. Frizziero L, Midena G, Longhin E, Berton M, Torresin T, Parrozzani R, Pilotto E. Early retinal changes by OCT angiography and multifocal electroretinography in diabetes. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2020 Oct 30;9(11):3514.
38. Schild-Poulter C, Shih A, Yarymowich NC, Haché RJ. Down-Regulation of Histone H2B by DNA-Dependent Protein Kinase in Response to DNA Damage through Modulation of Octamer Transcription Factor. Cancer Research. 2003 Nov 1;63(21):7197-205.
39. Ahad HA, Chinthaginjala H, Rahamtulla S, Pallavi BP, Shashanka C, Prathyusha J. A Comprehensive report on Solid Dispersions by Factorial Design. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021 Aug 3;14(4):297-301.
40. Tzvetkov MV, Vormfelde SV, Balen D, Meineke I, Schmidt T, Sehrt D, Sabolić I, Koepsell H, Brockmoeller J. The effects of genetic polymorphisms in the organic cation transporters OCT1, OCT2, and OCT3 on the renal clearance of metformin. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2009 Sep;86(3):299-306.
41. Takahashi K, Hossain M, Ahmed M, Bhuiyan MA, Ohnuki T, Nagatomo T. Asp125 and Thr130 in transmembrane domain 3 are major sites of α1b-adrenergic receptor antagonist binding. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2007 Oct 1;30(10):1891-4.
42. Meyer MJ, Neumann VE, Friesacher HR, Zdrazil B, Brockmöller J, Tzvetkov MV. Opioids as substrates and inhibitors of the genetically highly variable organic cation transporter OCT1. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2019 Oct 9;62(21):9890-905.
43. Fujita T, Shimada A, Okada N, Yamamoto A. Functional characterization of Na+-independent choline transport in primary cultures of neurons from mouse cerebral cortex. Neuroscience Letters. 2006 Jan 30;393(2-3):216-21..
44. A Baudino T. Targeted cancer therapy: the next generation of cancer treatment. Current Drug Discovery Technologies. 2015 Mar 1;12(1):3-20.
45. Ahad HA, Chinthaginjala H, Reddy GJ, Krishna PD, Rahamathulla S, Krishna JV. Abbreviated New Drug Application Process: A Gift for The Industry and The Patients. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021 Sep 28;14(5):331-5.
46. Theodorou E, Dalembert G, Heffelfinger C, White E, Weissman S, Corcoran L, Snyder M. A high throughput embryonic stem cell screen identifies Oct-2 as a bifunctional regulator of neuronal differentiation. Genes & Development. 2009 Mar 1;23(5):575-88.