Simple sensitive and accurate extractive colorimetric method was developed for the estimation of favipiravir in Pharmaceutical dosage forms. The method was based on the formation of colored ion pair complexes by the drugs with thiocynate ions. These ion pair complexes were quantitatively extracted under the experimental condition in chloroform. The absorbance values were measured at 618 respectively. The proposed method was validated statistically. A recovery of method was carried out by standard addition methods. The Beer’s law ranges were found to be 1-12µg/ml, respectively. The low values of standard deviation and percentage RSD indicate high precision of method. Hence the method is useful for routine estimation of favipiravir in tablets respectively.
Cite this article:
Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Determination of Favipiravir from Pharmaceutical Dosage Form by Extractive Ion Pair Complex Colorimetric Method. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021; 14(5):321-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00054
Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Determination of Favipiravir from Pharmaceutical Dosage Form by Extractive Ion Pair Complex Colorimetric Method. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021; 14(5):321-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00054 Available on: https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-5-3
1. Sohrabi, C., Alsafi, Z.; O’Neill, N.; Khan, M.; Kerwan, A.; Al-Jabir, A.; et al. World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Int. J. Surg., 76; 2020: 71–76.
2. Zhu, R. F.; Gao, R. I.; Robert, S. H.; Gao, J. P.; Yang, S. G.; Zhu, C. Systematic review of the registered clinical trials of coronavirus diseases 2019 (COVID-19), J. Transl. Med. 18; 2020: 274–279.
3. Prajapat, M.; Sarma, P.; Shekhar, N.; Avti, P.; Sinha, S.; Kaur, H.; et al. Drug targets for corona virus: A systematic review. Indian J.Pharm. 52(1); 2020: 56–63.
4. Dong, L.; Hu, S.; Gao, J. Discovering drugs to treat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Drug Discov. Ther. 14(1); 2020: 58–60.
5. De Clercq, E. New nucleoside analogues for the treatment of hemorrhagic fever virus infections. Chem.–Asian Journal. 14(22); 2019: 3962–3968.
6. Delang, L.; Abdelnabi, R.; Neyts, J. Favipiravir as a potential countermeasure against neglected and emerging RNA viruses. Antiviral Research. 153; 2018: 85–94.
7. Chen, C.; Huang, J.; Cheng, Z.; Wu, J.; Chen, S.; Zhang, Y.; et al. Favipiravir versus arbidol for COVID-19: A Randomized Clinical Trial, Medrxiv. 3; 2020: 17–20.
8. Ibrahim Bulduk, HPLC-UV method for quantification of favipiravir in pharmaceutical Formulations, Acta Chromatographica 2020:1-7 DOI: 10.1556/1326.2020.00828.
9. R. Suzuki, Y. Osaka, Quantitative Analysis of Favipiravir Spiked in Plasma Using by HPLC, Shimadzu excellence in science, application news no L 570, http://www.shimadzu.com/about/trademarks/index.html.
10. China patent. A kind of Favipiravir has the HPLC assay method of related substance. 21.09.2016. (CN104914185B)
11. HPLC method for measuring related substances in Favipiravir. China Patent 16.09.2015. (CN104914185A).
12. Thi Huyen Tram Nguyen and et.al. Favipiravir pharmacokinetics in Ebola-Infected patients of the JIKI trial reveals concentrations lower than targeted, Journal.pntd.0005389.23; 2017: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0005389 .
13. Rajan V. Rele, S.S. Zarapker Vipul Doshi, V. M. Shah, A simple extractive colorimetric determination of three drug from pharmaceutical preparations., Indian Drug :24(12): 1987:560-564.
14. Rajan V. Rele, Pankaj Gurav. A simple extractive spectrophotometric determination of loradatadine desloratadine and rupatadine from pharmaceutical formulation, International Journal of Pharma and Biosciences.3(2); 2012: 89-92.