Simple and accurate extractive colorimetric method was developed for the estimation of molnupiravir in Pharmaceutical dosage forms. The method was based on the formation of colored ion pair complexes by the drugs with thiocynate ions. These ion pair complexes were quantitatively extracted under the experimental condition in organic solvent like chloroform. The absorbance values were measured at 620 respectively. The proposed method was validated statistically. A recovery of method was carried out by standard addition methods. The Beer’s law ranges were found to be 1-14 µg/ml, respectively. The low values of standard deviation and percentage RSD indicate high precision of method. Hence the method is useful for routine estimation of molnupiravir in tablets respectively.
Cite this article:
Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Determination of Molnupiravir by Extractive Colorimetric Method from Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry¬. 2022; 15(4):256-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00046
Rele Rajan V., Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Determination of Molnupiravir by Extractive Colorimetric Method from Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry¬. 2022; 15(4):256-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2022.00046 Available on: https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-4-3
1. R.C. Group. Lopinavir-ritonavir in patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 (Recovery): a randomized, controlled, open-label, platform trial. Lancet. 396 (10259); 2020 :1345–1352.
2. Chen J, Xia L, Liu L, Xu Q, Ling Y, Huang D, Huang W, Song S, Xu S, Shen Y, Lu H. Antiviral Activity and Safety of Darunavir/Cobicistat for the Treatment of COVID-19. Open Forum Infect Dis. 7 (7; 2020; 241
3. Beigel JH, Tomashek KM, Dodd LE, Mehta AK, Zingman BS, Kalil AC, Hohmann E, Chu HY, Luetkemeyer A, Kline S, Lopez de Castilla D, et al. Remdesivir for the Treatment of Covid-19 - Final Report. The New England Journal of Medicine. 383 (19); 2020; 1813–1826.
4. Toots M, Yoon J-J, Cox RM, Hart M, Sticher ZM, Makhsous N, Plesker R, Barrena AH, Reddy PG, Mitchell DG, Shean RC, et al. Characterization of orally efficacious influenza drug with high resistance barrier in ferrets and human airway epithelia. Sci Transl Med. 11 (515); 2019; 5866.
5. Sheahan TP, Sims AC, Zhou S, Graham RL, Pruijssers AJ, Agostini ML, Leist SR, Schafer A, Dinnon KH 3rd, Stevens LJ, Chappell JD, et al. An orally bioavailable broad-spectrum antiviral inhibits SARS-CoV-2 in human airway epithelial cell cultures and multiple coronaviruses in mice. Sci Transl Med.12 (541); 2020
6. Painter GR, Bowen RA, Bluemling GR, DeBergh J, Edpuganti V, Gruddanti PR, Guthrie DB, Hager M, Kuiper DL, Lockwood MA, Mitchell DG, et al. The prophylactic and therapeutic activity of a broadly active ribonucleoside analog in a murine model of intranasal venezuelan equine encephalitis virus infection. Antiviral Res.; 171; 2019: 104597.
7. Painter WP, Holman W, Bush JA, Almazedi F, Malik H, Eraut NCJE, Morin MJ, Szewczyk LJ, Painter GR. Human Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of a Novel Broad-Spectrum Oral Antiviral Compound, Molnupiravir, with Activity Against SARS-CoV-2. medRxiv.12.10; 2020:.20235747.
8. Amara et al. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2021 9.
9. Rosenke K, Hansen F, Schwarz B, Feldmann F, Haddock E, Rosenke R, Meade-White K, Okumura A, Leventhal S, Hawman DW, Ricotta E, et al. Orally delivered MK-4482 inhibits SARS-CoV-2 replication in the Syrian Hamster Model. Res Sq. .3; 2020:86289.
10. Alieu Amaraa, Sujan Dilly Penchalaa, Laura Elsea, Colin Haleb, Richard Fitz Geraldb, Lauren Walkerb, Rebecca Lyonsb, Tom Fletcherc, Saye Khoo, The development and validation of a novel LC-MS/MS method for the simultaneous quantification of Molnupiravir and its metabolite ß-d-N4-hydroxycytidine in human plasma and saliva, J Pharm Biomed Anal. 206; 2021: 114356. doi:10.1016/j.jpba.2021.11435628.
11. Tuba Reçber, Selin Seda Timur, Sevilay Erdogan Kablan, Fatma Yalçın, Tutku Ceren Karabulut, R. Neslihan Gürsoy, Hakan Eroglu, Sedef Kır, A stability indicating RP-HPLC method for determination of the COVID-19 drug molnupiravir applied using nanoformulations in permeability studies, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 214; (2022): 114693
12. Rajan V. Rele, S.S. Zarapker Vipul Doshi,V.M. Shah, A simple extractive colorimetric determination of three drug from pharmaceutical preparations., Indian Drug. 24(12); 1987:560-564.
13. Rajan V. Rele, Pankaj Gurav. A simple extractive spectrophotometric determination of loradatadine desloratadine and rupatadine from pharmaceutical formulation, International Journal of Pharma and Biosciences. 3(2); 2012:89-92.
14. Rele Rajan V. Tiwatane Prathamesh P. Determination of Favipiravir from Pharmaceutical Dosage Form by Extractive Ion Pair Complex Colorimetric Method, Asian J. Research Chem.,14(5); 2021:321-323. DOI: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00054.