Samuel Ng’ang’a Ndung’u, Esther Wanja Nthiga, Ruth Nduta Wanjau, James Ndiritu
Samuel Ng’ang’a Ndung’u1*, Esther Wanja Nthiga2, Ruth Nduta Wanjau1, James Ndiritu3
1Department of Chemistry, Kenyatta University, P.O Box 43844-0100, Nairobi, Kenya.
2Department of Chemistry, Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, P.O Box 657-10100, Nyeri, Kenya.
3Department of Biological and Physical Sciences, Turkana University College, P.O Box 69 - 30500, Lodwar, Kenya.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2021
Heavy metals contaminated water has detrimental health effects to human beings and animals not limited to hypertension, kidney damage, cancer and eventual death. Available water treatment methods have proved to not only function at high operation costs and ineffective but also yielded insignificant results to a local ordinary Kenyan citizens. The present study investigates the use of Jackfruit seeds wastes as a low cost adsorbent in adsorption water treatment technique. Raw and modified Jackfruit seeds adsorbent were applied to study kinetic studies of Cu2+, Cd2+ and Pb2+ ions adsorption from an aqueous solution under batch conditions. The adsorption behavior of the three metal ions onto raw and modified adsorbents was monitored spectrophotometrically and analysed with Pseudo-first-order and Pseudo-second-order kinetic models. Correlation coefficients (R2) confirmed that all experimental data fitted Pseudo-second-order with R2 > 0.984 which implied a chemisorption process. Experimental and calculated adsorption capacities was higher for modified adsorbent with Pb2+ ions registering higher values. The rate constants (k2) was higher in modified adsorbent than in raw adsorbent with Pb2+ ions registering highest value of rate of 4.54×10-1 (mg g-1min-1). Adsorption capacities was in the order of Pb2+ > Cu2+ > Cd2+. The results showed viability of the adsorbents for the removal of the heavy metals from waste solution in an economical and environmental friendly manner.
Cite this article:
Samuel Ng’ang’a Ndung’u, Esther Wanja Nthiga, Ruth Nduta Wanjau, James Ndiritu. Kinetic modeling of Cu2+, Cd2+ and Pb2+ ions adsorption onto raw and modified Artocarpus heterophyllus L. seeds from a model solution. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021; 14(4):237-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00040
Samuel Ng’ang’a Ndung’u, Esther Wanja Nthiga, Ruth Nduta Wanjau, James Ndiritu. Kinetic modeling of Cu2+, Cd2+ and Pb2+ ions adsorption onto raw and modified Artocarpus heterophyllus L. seeds from a model solution. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2021; 14(4):237-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2021.00040 Available on: https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-4-1
1. Shelke, R., Bharad, J., Madje, B. and Ubale, M. Adsorption of Nickel (II), Copper (II) and Iron (III) on Kammoni Leaf Powder: A Case Study. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(1): 100-103.
2. Thakuria, M.N. and Talukdar, A.K. Removal of Cu (II) and Cr (III) from drinking water samples by adsorption using rice husk ash. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2010; 3(3): 626-630.
3. Zhang, X., Yan, L., Li, J., Yu, H. Adsorption of heavy metals by l-cysteine intercalated layered double hydroxide: kinetic, isothermal and mechanistic studies. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2020; 562:149-158.
4. Li, X., Wang, S., Liu, Y., Jiang, L., Song, B., Li, M., Zeng, G., Tan, X., Cai, X. and Ding, Y. Adsorption of Cu (II), Pb (II), and Cd (II) ions from Acidic Aqueous Solutions by Diethylenetriaminepentaacetic Acid-Modified Magnetic Graphene Oxide. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data. 2016; 62(1): 407–416.
5. Alslaibi, T.M., Abustan, I., Ahmad, M.A., Foul, A.A. Kinetics and equilibrium adsorption of iron (II), lead (II), and copper (II) onto activated carbon prepared from olive stone waste. Desalination and Water Treatment. 2013; 1-11.
6. Abhilash, D.P., Viola Rose, S. and Indirani, B. Removal of Cadmium (II) from aqueous solution using Coffee powder - A Kinetic study. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2018; 11(2): 360-364.
7. Gautam, R.K., Banerjee, S., Gautam, P.V., Rawat, V., Kumar, A., Singh, S.K. and Chattopadhyaya, M.C. Biosorption of an Acidic Dye, Alizarin Red S, Onto Biosorbent of Mustard husk: Kinetic, Equilibrium Modeling and Spectroscopic Analysis. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2014; 7(4): 417-425.
8. Sharma, D. Removal of Heavy Metals from Water/ Wastewater Using Agricultural and Industrial By-Products as Adsorbents. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(9): 1432-1439.
9. Telkapalliwar, N. and Shivankar, V. Adsorption of Zinc onto Microwave assisted carbonized Acacia nilotica bark. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2017. 10(1):45-53.
10. Sahare, A.B. and Gharde, B. D. Adsorption Studies of Co (II) from Aqueous Solution using Mangifera indica Bark Substrate. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry, 2017; 10(3):259-263.
11. Ndung’u S. N., Wanjau R.N., Nthiga E.W., Ndiritu J. and Mbugua G.W. Complexation equilibrium studies of Cu2+, Cd2+ and Pb2+ ions onto ethylenediamine quaternised Artocarpus heterophyllus L. seeds from aqueous solution. IOSR Journal of applied chemistry (IOSR-JAC). 2020; 13(12): 01-12.
12. Abid, M.K., Ibrahim, H.B. and Zulkifli, S.Z. Synthesis and Characterization of Biochar from Peel and Seed of Jackfruit plant waste for the adsorption of Copper Metal Ion from water. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(9): 4182-4188.
13. Lubanga, C., Ntambi, E. and Adaku, C. Potential of Artocarpus heterophyllus Seed Powder in the Adsorption of Chromium (VI) from Aqueous Solution. Journal of Water Resource and Protection. 2017; 9: 614-628. http://www.scirp.org/journal/jwarp
14. Madruga, M.S., De Albuquerque, F.S.M., Silva, I.R.A., Do Amaral, D.S., Magnani, M. and Queiroga Neto, V. Chemical, morphological and functional properties of Brazilian jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus L.) seeds starch. Food Chemistry. 2014; 143: 440-445.
15. Prasad, N., Kumar, P. and Pal, D.B. Cadmium removal from aqueous solution by jackfruit seed bio‑adsorbent. SN Applied Sciences. 2020; 2(1018): 1-10.
16. Dhananjaneyulu, B.V. and Kumaraswamy, K. Kinetic and thermodynamic studies on adsorption of malachite green from aqueous solution using mixed adsorbents (rice husk and egg shell). Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 9(10):1671-1676.
17. Vijayakumaran, V. and Arivoli, S. Adsorption Equilibrium Thermodynamics and Kinetics Studies of Chromium (VI) Ions from Aqueous Solution by Using Odina Wodier Bark Carbon. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(11): 1701-1708.
18. Adinew, B., Kebede, T. and Shimelis, B. Removal of Congo red and Methyl violet dyes from waste water by Adsorption on low-cost material. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(7): 1148-1157.
19. Kowanga, K.D., Gatebe, E., Mauti, G.O. and Mauti, E.M. Kinetic, sorption isotherms, pseudo-first-order model and pseudo-second-order model studies of Cu (II) and Pb (II) using defatted Moringa oleifera seed powder. The Journal of Phytopharmacology. 2016; 5(2): 71-78.
20. Soldatkina, L., & Zavrichko, M. Equilibrium, Kinetic, and Thermodynamic Studies of Anionic Dyes Adsorption on Corn Stalks Modified by Cetylpyridinium Bromide. Colloids and Interfaces. 2019; 3(1): 4-16.
21. Baseri, J.R., Palanisamy, P.N. and Sivakumar, P. Use of Activated Carbon of Thevetia peruviana wood for the Adsorption of Acid Violet Dye from Aqueous Solutions. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(4): 456-461.
22. Baby, R., Saifullah, B. and Hussein, M.Z. Palm Kernel Shell as an effective adsorbent for the treatment of heavy metal contaminated water. Scientific Reports. 2019; 9: 1-11.
23. Li, T., Liu, Y., Peng, Q., Hua, X., Liao, T., Wanga, H. and Lu, M. Removal of lead (II) from aqueous solution with ethylenediamine-modified yeast biomass coated with magnetic chitosan microparticles: Kinetic and equilibrium modeling. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2013; 214: 189–197.
24. Nthiga, E., Jane, M., and Ruth W. and Ahmed, H. Application of chemically modified avocado seed for removal of Copper (II), Lead (II), and Cadmium (II) ions from aqueous solutions. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2016; 6(8): 1-15.
25. Duan, C., Zhao, N., Yu, X., Zhang, X. and Xu, J. Chemically modified kapok fiber for fast adsorption of Pb 2+, Cd 2+, Cu 2+ from aqueous solution. Cellulose. 2013; 20: 849–860.
26. Nthiga, E.W., Ndung’u, S.N., Kibet, K. and Wanjau, R.N. Removal of Cr3+ ions from a model solution by HCl treated Artocarpus heterophyllus L. seeds: Equilibrium and Kinetic study. International Journal of Research and Innovation in Applied Science, 2021; 6(2): 38-45.