A simple, rapid, and precise reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromategraphic method for simultaneous analysis of Metformin hydrochloride, Nateglinide, and Pioglitazone hydrochloride in a tablet dosage form has been developed and validated. Chromatography was performed on a 25cm × 4.6mm i.d., 5-µm particle, C18 column with 85:15 (v/v) methanol: 20mM potassium dihydrogen phosphate buffer as mobile phase at a flow rate of 1.2ml/min. UV detection at 227nm; Metformin hydrochloride, Nateglinide, and Pioglitazone hydrochloride were eluted with retention times of 2.15, 3.787, and 4.57 min, respectively. The method was validated in accordance with ICH guidelines. Validation revealed the method is specific, rapid, accurate, precise, reliable, and reproducible. Calibration plots were linear over the concentration ranges 50-250mg/ml for Metformin hydrochloride, 3.0-15.0mg/ml for Nateglinide, and 2-10mg/ml for Pioglitazone hydrochloride. Limits of detection were 0.03, 0.22, and 0.008mg/ml and limits of quantification were 0.09, 0.67, and 0.02mg/ml for Metformin hydrochloride, Nateglinide, and Pioglitazone hydrochloride, respectively. The high recovery and low coefficients of variation confirm the suitability of the method for simultaneous analysis of the three drugs in tablets. Statistical analysis proves that the method is suitable for the analysis of Metformin hydrochloride, Nateglinide, and Pioglitazone hydrochloride as a bulk drug and in pharmaceutical formulation with out any interference from the excipients. It may be extended to study the degradation kinetics of three drugs and also for its estimation in plasma and other biological fluids.
Cite this article:
Kapil Rana, Pushpendra Sharma. Development and Validation of a HPLC method for the Determination of Metformin hydrochloride, Nateglinide and Pioglitazone hydrochloride in Multicomponent Formulation. Asian J. Research Chem. 2021; 14(1):7-12. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2021.00002.X
Kapil Rana, Pushpendra Sharma. Development and Validation of a HPLC method for the Determination of Metformin hydrochloride, Nateglinide and Pioglitazone hydrochloride in Multicomponent Formulation. Asian J. Research Chem. 2021; 14(1):7-12. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2021.00002.X Available on: https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-1-2
1. Klepser TB, Kelly MW. Metformin hydrochloride: an antihyperglycemic agent. Am J Health System Pharm.1997; 54: 893-903.
2. Campbell DB, Lavielle R, Nathan C. The mode ofaction on clinical pharmacology of gliclazide a review. Diab Res Clin Pract. 1991; 14: S21–S36.
3. Sane RT, Banavalikar VJ, Bhate VR, Nayak VG. Gas chromatographic determination of metformin hydrochloride from pharmaceutical preparations. Indian Drugs. 1989; 26(11): 647-648.
4. El-Khateeb S Z, Assaad H N, El-Bardicy M G, Ahmad A S Determination of metformin hydrochloridein tablets by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Anal Chim Acta. 1988; 208(1-2): 321-324.
5. Koseki N, Kawashita H, Niina M, Nagae, Y MasudaN, Development and validation for high selective quantitative determination of metformin in human plasma by cation exchanging with normal-phase LC/MS/MS. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2005; 36:1063-1072.
6. Wang Y, Tang Y, Gu J, Fawcett JP, Bai X, Rapidand sensitive liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometric method for the quantitation of metformin in human plasma. J Chromatogr B. 2004; 808: 215-219.
7. Heinig K, Bucheli F, Fast liquid chromatographic-tandem mass spectrometric (LC–MS–MS) determination of metformin in plasma samples. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2004; 34: 1005-1011.
8. Kar M, Choudhury PK, HPLC method for estimation of metformin hydrochloride in formulated microspheres and tablet dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2009; 71: 318-320.
9. El Kousy NM. Stability-indicating densitometric determination of some antidiabetic drugs in dosage forms, using TLC. Mikrochim Acta. 1998; 128: 65–68.
10. The European Pharmacopoeia. 2005; I: 1660–1662.
11. Noguchi H, Tomita N, Naruto S. Determination of Gliclazide in serum by High Performance Liquid Chromatography used solid-phase extraction. J Chromatogr Biomed Appl. 1992; 583: 266–269.
12. Yamashita K, Murakami H, Okuda T, MotohashiM.High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of pioglitazone and its metabolites inhuman serum and Urine. J Chrom A. 1996; 677 (1):141-146.
13. John-Lin Z, Karieger W. JiDD, Shum L, Simultaneous determination of pioglitazone and its two active metabolites in human plasma by L-MS-MS. JPharm Biomed Anal. 2003; 33: 101.
14. Kolte BL, Raut BB, Deo AA, Bagool MA, Shinde DB, Simultaneous High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic Determination of Pioglitazone and Metformin in Pharmaceutical-Dosage Form. J Chrom Science. 2004; 42: 27-31.
15. Sane RT, Menon SN, Mote M, Gundi G, Simultaneous determination of pioglitazone and glimpiride by high-performance liquid chromatography. Chromatographia. 2004; 59: 451.
16. Davison G, Beckette AH, Stenlake JB, Practical Pharmaceutical Chemistry, CBS Publishers and distributors, New Delhi, 1997.
17. T.C. Lalhariatpulli and N. Kawathekar, Indian Drugs. Derivative spectrophotometric estimation of pioglitazone and metformin hydrochloride. 2005;42(11): 740.
18. Kolte BL, Raut BB, Deo AA, Bagool MA, ShindeDB. Simultaneous High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic Determination of Pioglitazone and Metformin in Pharmaceutical-Dosage Form. J Chrom Science. 2004; 42: 27-31.
19. Shankar Madhira B, Modi Vaibhav D, Shah Dimal A, Bhatt Kashyap K, Mehta, Rajendra S, Geetha Madhira. Estimation of Pioglitazone hydrochloride and Metformin hydrochloride in tablets by Derivative Spectrophotometry and Liquid Chromatographic Methods. J J AOAC International. 2005; 88: 1167-1172.
20. Sahoo PK, Sharma R, Chaturvedi SC, Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin hydrochloride and Pioglitazone hydrochloride by RP-HPLC method from combined tablet dosage form. Ind J Pharm Sci. 2008; 70: 383-386.
21. Bhanu R, Kulkarni SK, Kadam AB. Simultaneous estimation of gliclazide and metformin in pharmaceutical dosage by reverse phase HPLC. Indian Drugs. 2006; 43(1): 16.
22. Aburuz S, Milership J, McElnay J. The development and validation of liquid chromatography method for the simultaneous determination of metformin and glipizide, glicazide, glibenclamide or glimeperide in plasma. Journal of Chromatography B. 2005; 817: 277–286.
23. Chaturvedi PK, Sharma R. Development and Validation of an RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Analysis of a Three-Component Tablet Formulation Containing Metformin Hydrochloride, Pioglitazone Hydrochloride, and Glibenclamide. Acta Chromatographica. 2008; 20(3): 451–461.
24. Mistri H N, Jangid A G, Shrivastav P S, Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method for simultaneous determination of antidiabetic drugs metformin and glyburide in human plasma. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 2007; 45: 97-106.
25. Georgita C, Albu F, David V, Medvedovici AJ, Simultaneous assay of metformin and glibenclamide in human plasma based on extraction-less sample preparation procedure and LC/(APCI)MS, J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2007; 854: 211-218.
26. Zhang L, Tian Y, Zhang Z, Chen Y. Simultaneous determination of Metformin and rosiglitazone in human plasma by liquid chromatography/tandem Mass spectrometry with electrospray ionization: application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2007; 854: 91-98.
27. Gupta VD. Quantitation of glipizide and glyburide (glibenclamide) in tablets using high performance liquid chromatography. J Liq Chromatogr. 1986; 9(16):3607-3615.
28. Nadkarni DR, Merchant RN, Sundaresan M, Bhagwat AM. Isocratic separation and simultaneous estimation of four anti-diabetic members of the sulphonyl urea family by reverse phase HPLC. Indian Drugs. 1997; 34(11): 650-653.
29. Aruna A, Nancey K. Simultaneous estimation of glipizide and metformine in solid dosage form by UV-spectrophotometry. Indian Drugs. 2000; 37(10):533-536.
30. Duby A, Shukla IC. Microgram determination of glipiozide and metformine HCl in pharmaceutical preparation by HPLC method. Indian Drugs. 2002;39(8): 446-449.
31. Ding CG, Zhou Z, Ge QH, Zhi XJ, Ma LL. Simultaneous determination of metformin and glipizide in human plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, Biomed Chromatogr. 2007; 21:132-138.
32. Code Q2(R1)-Text on Validation of Analytical Procedure Step-3 Consensus Guideline, ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline. 2005.
33. Code Q2A-Text on Validation of Analytical Procedure Step-3 Consensus Guideline, ICHHarmonised Tripartite Guideline. 1994.
34. Code Q2B-Validation of Analytical Procedure Methodology Step-4 Consensus Guideline, ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline. 1994.