The photo physical properties of two mononuclear pentacoordinated copper (II) complexes formulated as [Cu (L) (Cl) (H2O)] (1) and [Cu (L) (Br) (H2O)] (2) HL = (1-[(3-methyl-pyridine-2-ylimino)-methyl]-naphthalen-2-ol) were synthesized and characterized by elemental, physicochemical, and spectroscopic methods. The density function theory calculations are used to investigate the electronic structures and the electronic properties of ligand and complex. The interactions of copper (II) complexes towards calf thymus DNA were examined with the help of absorption, viscosity, and fluorescence spectroscopic techniques at pH 7.40. All spectroscopy’s result indicates that complexes show good binding activity to calf thymus DNA through groove binding. The optical absorption and fluorescence emission properties of microwires were characterized by fluorescence microscope. From a spectroscopic viewpoint, all compounds strongly emit green light in the solid state. The microscopy investigation suggested that microwires exhibited optical waveguide behaviour which are applicable as fluorescent nanomaterials and can be used as building blocks for miniaturized photonic devices. Antibacterial study reveals that complexes are better antimicrobial agents than free Schiff base due to bacterial cell penetration by chelation. Moreover, the antioxidant study of the ligand and complexes is evaluated by using 1, 1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) free-radical assays, which demonstrate that the complexes are of higher antioxidant activity than free ligand.
Cite this article:
Rajeev Kumar, Sivadhar Sharma. Synthesis and Characterisation of Copper (II) Complexes Containing Ligand: Biological Application. Asian J. Research Chem. 2020; 13(5):341-351. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2020.00065.6
Rajeev Kumar, Sivadhar Sharma. Synthesis and Characterisation of Copper (II) Complexes Containing Ligand: Biological Application. Asian J. Research Chem. 2020; 13(5):341-351. doi: 10.5958/0974-4150.2020.00065.6 Available on: https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-5-7
1. A. Chakraborty, P. Kumar, K. Ghosh, and P. Roy, “Evaluation of a Schiff base copper complex compound as potent anticancer molecule with multiple targets of action,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 647, no. 1–3, pp. 1–12, 2010.
2. R. H. Holm, P. Kennepohl, and E. I. Solomon, “Structural and functional aspects of metal sites in biology,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 2239–2314, 1996.
3. M. A. Ali, C. M. Haroon, M. Nazimuddin, S. M. M.-U. Majumder, M. T. H. Tarafder, and M. A. Khair, “Synthesis, characterization and biological activities of some new nickel (II), copper(II), zinc(II) and cadmium(II) complexes of quadridentate SNNS ligands,” Transition Metal Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 133–136, 1992.
4. D. T. Minkel, C. H. Chanstier, and D. H. Petering, “Reactions of 3-Ethoxy-2-oxobutyraldehyde Bis (N4-dimethylthiosemicarbazonato)-Zinc (II) with tumor cells and mitochondria,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1036–1044, 1976.
5. V. Rajendiran, R. Karthik, M. Palaniandavar et al., “Mixedligand copper (II)-phenolate complexes: effect of coligand on enhanced DNA and protein binding, DNA cleavage, and anticancer activity,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 20, pp. 8208– 8221, 2007.
6. A. E. Liberta and D. X. West, “Antifungal and antitumor activity of heterocyclic thiosemicarbazones and their metal complexes: current status,” Biometals, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 121–126, 1992.
7. Y. Harinath, D. H. K. Reddy, B. N. Kumar, C. Apparao, and K. Seshaiah, “Synthesis, spectral characterization and antioxidant activity studies of a bidentate Schiff base, 5-methyl thiophene-2- carboxaldehyde-carbohydrazone and its Cd(II), Cu(II), Ni(II) and Zn(II) complexes,” Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, vol. 101, pp. 264–272, 2013.
8. J. Sheikh, H. Juneja, V. Ingle, P. Ali, and T. B. Hadda, “Synthesis and in vitro biology of Co (II), Ni (II), Cu (II) and Zinc (II) complexes of functionalized beta-diketone bearing energy buried potential antibacterial and antiviral O, O pharmacophore sites,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 269–276, 2013.
9. C. Marzano, M. Pellei, F. Tisato, and C. Santini, “Copper complexes as anticancer agents,” Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 185–211, 2009.
10. S. M. Saadeh, “Synthesis, characterization and biological properties of Co (II), Ni (II), Cu (II) and Zn (II) complexes with an SNO functionalized ligand,” Arabian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 191–196, 2013.
11. J. Garc´ıa-Tojal, A. Garc´ıa-Orad, A. A. D´ıaz et al., “Biological activity of complexes derived from pyridine-2-carbaldehyde thiosemicarbazone: structure of [Co(C7H7N4S)2] [NCS],” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 84, no. 3-4, pp. 271–278, 2001.
12. P. R. Reddy and A. Shilpa, “2-hydroxynaphthalene-1- carbaldehyde- and 2-aminomethyl) pyridine-based Schiff base Cu𝐼𝐼 complexes for DNA binding and cleavage,” Chemistry and Biodiversity, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 2262–2281, 2012.
13. N. Shahabadi, M. M. Khodaei, S. Kashanian, and F. Kheirdoosh, “Interaction of a copper (II) complex containing an artificial sweetener (aspartame) with calf thymus DNA,” Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, vol. 120, pp. 1–6, 2014.
14. A. J. Steckl, “DNA—a new material for photonics?” Nature Photonics, vol. 1, pp. 3–5, 2007.
15. S. Bandyopadhyay, M. Tarek, and M. L. Klein, “Molecular dynamics study of a lipid-DNA complex,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 103, no. 46, pp. 10075–10080, 1999.
16. M. Hazra, T. Dolai, A. Pandey, S. K. Dey, and A. Patra, “Fluorescent copper (II) complexes: the electron transfer mechanism, interaction with bovine serum albumin (BSA) and antibacterial activity,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, 2014.
17. A. D. Becke, “Density−functional thermochemistry. III. The role of exact exchange,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 98, article 5648, 1993.
18. C. Lee, W. Yang, and R. G. Parr, “Development of the ColleSalvetti correlation-energy formula into a functional of the electron density,” Physical Review B, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 785–789, 1998.
19. S. Roy, T. K. Mondal, P. Mitra, E. L. Torres, and C. Sinha, “Synthesis, structure, spectroscopic properties, electrochemistry, and DFT correlative studies of N-[(2-pyridyl) methyliden]-6- coumarin complexes of Cu(I) and Ag(I),” Polyhedron, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 913–922, 2011.
20. J. A. Pople, M. J. Frisch, G.W. Trucks et al., Gaussian 09, Revision B.01, Gaussian, Wallingford, UK, 2009.
21. M. E. Reichman, S. A. Rice, C. A. Tgomas, and P. Doty, “A further examination of the molecular weight and Size of desoxypentose nucleic acid,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 76, no. 11, pp. 3047–3053, 1954.
22. A. Patra, B. Sen, S. Sarkar, A. Pandey, E. Zangrando, and P. Chattopadhyay, “Nickel (II) complexes with 2-(pyridin-3- ylmethylsulfanyl) phenylamine and halide/pseudohalides: Synthesis, structural characterisation, interaction with CT-DNA and bovine serum albumin, and antibacterial activity,” Polyhedron, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 156–163, 2013.
23. D. Lahiri, T. Bhowmick, B. Pathak et al., “Anaerobic photocleavage of DNA in red light by dicopper (II) complexes of 3,3 - dithiodipropionic acid,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 339–349, 2009.
24. C. Sheikh, M. S. Hossain, M. S. Easmin, M. S. Islam, and M. Rashid, “Evaluation of in vitro antimicrobial and in vivo cytotoxic properties of some novel titanium-based coordination complexes,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 710–713, 2004.
25. J. Singh and P. Singh, “Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization, and in vitro antimicrobial studies of pyridine-2-carboxylic acid N -(4-chloro-benzoyl)-hydrazide and its Co (II), Ni (II), and Cu (II) complexes,” Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications, vol. 2012, Article ID 104549, 7 pages, 2012.
26. H. Wu, J. Yuan, Y. Bai et al., “Synthesis, structure, DNAbinding properties and antioxidant activity of silver(i) complexes containing V-shaped bis-benzimidazole ligands,” Dalton Transactions, vol. 41, no. 29, pp. 8829–8838, 2012.
27. S. Dey, T. Mukherjee, S. Sarkar, H. S. Evans, and P. Chattopadhyay, “5-Nitro-1,10-phenanthroline bis (N, Npyridylmethylthio-Κ O)- bis(perchlorato) copper (II): synthesis, structural characterization, and DNA-binding study,” Transition Metal Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 631–636, 2011.
28. M. Valko, R. Boca, R. Klement et al., “Effect of hydrogenation on electronic and distant magnetic properties in copper (II) complexes with derivatives of tetrahydrosalen and salen. X-ray crystal structure of [CuBu, Me(saltmen)] complex,” Polyhedron, vol. 16, pp. 903–908, 1997.
29. S. Dey, S. Sarkar, H. Paul, E. Zangrando, and P. Chattopadhyay, “Copper (II) complex with tridentate N donor ligand: synthesis, crystal structure, reactivity and DNA binding study,” Polyhedron, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1583–1587, 2010.
30. B. H. Chen, H. H. Yao, W. T. Huang, P. Chattopadhyay, J. M. Lo, and T. H. Lu, “Syntheses and molecular structures of three Cu (II) complexes with tetradentate imine-phenols,” Solid State Sciences, vol. 1, no. 2-3, pp. 119–131, 1999.
31. A. B. P. Lever, Inorganic Electronic Spectroscopy, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2nd edition, 1984.
32. S. Sarkar, A. Patra, M. G. B. Drew, E. Zangrando, and P. Chattopadhyay, “Copper (II) complexes of tetradentate N2S2 donor sets: synthesis, crystal structure characterization and reactivity,” Polyhedron, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2009.
33. W. Kemp, Organic Spectroscopy, Macmillan Press, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
34. R. A. Sheikh, S. Shreaz, G. S. Sharma, L. A. Khan, and A. A. Hashmi, “Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial screening of a novel organylborate ligand, potassium hydro(phthalyl)(salicylyl)borate and its Co (II), Ni (II), and Cu (II) complexes,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 353–361, 2012.
35. A. D. Kulkarni, S. A. Patil, and P. S. Badami, “Electrochemical properties of some transition metal complexes: synthesis, characterization and in-vitro antimicrobial studies of Co (II), Ni (II), Cu (II), Mn (II) and Fe (III) complexes,” International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 4, pp. 717–729, 2009.
36. S. Konar, A. Jana, K. Das et al., “Synthesis, crystal structure, spectroscopic and photoluminescence studies of manganese (II), cobalt (II), cadmium (II), zinc (II) and copper (II) complexes with a pyrazole derived Schiff base ligand,” Polyhedron, vol. 30, no. 17, pp. 2801–2808, 2011.
37. A. Patra, S. Sen, S. Sarkar, E. Zangrando, and P. Chattopadhyay, “Syntheses, crystal structures, and DNAbinding of some nickel (II) complexes of 1,3-bis (2-pyridylmethylthio) propane and pseudohalides,” Journal of Coordination Chemistry, vol. 65, no. 23, pp. 4096–4107, 2012.
38. N. Lingthoingambi, N. Rajen Singh, and M. Damayanti, “DNA interaction and biological activities of Copper (II) complexes of alkylamidio-O-methylurea,” Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 187–194, 2011.
39. A. Patra, S. Sarkar, T. Mukherjee, E. Zangrando, and P. Chattopadhyay, “Zinc (II) complexes of 1,3-bis (2-pyridylmethylthio) propane: anion dependency, crystal structure and DNA binding study,” Polyhedron, vol. 30, no. 17, pp. 2783–2789, 2011.
40. R. Sinha, M. M. Islam, K. Bhadra, G. S. Kumar, A. Banerjee, and M. Maiti, “The binding of DNA intercalating and nonintercalating compounds to A-form and protonated form of poly(rC)⋅poly(rG): spectroscopic and viscometric study,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 800–814, 2006.
41. R. Indumathy, S. Radhika, M. Kanthimathi, T. Weyhermuller, and B. Unni Nair, “Cobalt complexes of terpyridine ligand: crystal structure and photocleavage of DNA,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 434–443, 2007.
42. O. Stern and M. Volmer, “Uber die abklingungszeit der fluo- ¨ reszenz (The extinction period of fluorescence),” Physikalische Zeitschrift, vol. 20, pp. 183–188, 1919.
43. A. Kathiravan and R. Renganathan, “Photoinduced interactions between colloidal TiO2 nanoparticles and calf thymus-DNA,” Polyhedron, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1374–1378, 2009.
44. S. Mahadevan and M. Palaniandavar, “Spectroscopic and voltammetric studies on copper complexes of 2,9-dimethyl1,10-phenanthrolines bound to calf thymus DNA,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 693–700, 1998.
45. M. T. Carter and A. J. Bard, “Voltammetric studies of the interaction of tris(1,10-phenanthroline) cobalt (III) with DNA,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 109, no. 24, pp. 7528–7530, 1987.
46. S. Satyanarayana, J. C. Dabrowiak, and J. B. Chaires, “Tris(phenanthroline) ruthenium (II) enantiomer interactions with DNA: mode and specificity of binding,” Biochemistry, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 2573–2584, 1993.
47. A. I. Dragan, R. Pavlovic, J. B. McGivney et al., “SYBR Green I: fluorescence properties and interaction with DNA,” Journal of Fluorescence, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1189–1199, 2012.
48. J. Joseph, K. Nagashri, and G. A. B. Rani, “Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activities of copper complexes derived from 4-aminoantipyrine derivatives,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 285–294, 2013.
49. S. A. Patil, V. H. Naik, A. D. Kulkarni, and P. S. Badami, “DNA cleavage, antimicrobial, spectroscopic and fluorescence studies of Co (II), Ni (II) and Cu (II) complexes with SNO donor coumarin Schiff bases,” Spectrochimica Acta—Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 347–354, 2010.
50. S. B. Bukhari, S. Memon, M. Mahroof-Tahir, and M. I. Bhanger, “Synthesis, characterization and antioxidant activity copperquercetin complex,” Spectrochimica Acta A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 1901–1906, 2009.
51. B. Stefan, F. Susanne, and E. Hansgeorg, “Carotenylflavonoids, a novel group of potent, dual-functional antioxidants,” Arkivoc, vol. 8, pp. 279–295, 2007.
52. K. Konarikova, L. Andrezalova, P. Rapta et al., “Effect of the Schiff base complex diaqua-(N-salicylidene-l-glutamato) copper (II) monohydrate on human tumor cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 721, no. 1–3, pp. 178–184, 2013.