Manoharreddy Epuru, Ravinder Reddy V, Nagarjuna Reddy P, Kishore Ravada, Jajula Kashanna, V V N Kishore Pilli
Manoharreddy Epuru1,2, Ravinder Reddy V2, Nagarjuna Reddy P3, Kishore Ravada4, Jajula Kashanna5, V V N Kishore Pilli1*
1Department of Chemistry, School of Applied Sciences and humanities, VFSTR, Vadlamudi, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India 522213.
2Analytical Research and Development, Innovare Labs Private Limited,
Hyderabad, Medchal (Dist), Telangana, India 500090.
3Analytical Research and Development, Revin Labs Private Limited, Hyderabad, Medchal (Dist), Telangana, India 500090.
4Department of Chemistry, GIS, Gitam (Deemed to be University, Rushikonda, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India, 530045.
5Department of Chemistry, Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies, Basar, Telangana, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
Background: This study was designed for the estimation of escitalopram oxalte and atazanavir sulphate in the experimental tablet formulation. The separation was performed at 210 nm by using Inertsil ODS 3V (250 * 4.6 mm, 5.0 m) column and acetonitrile/phosphate buffer (pH =3.55) as the eluent under isocratic elution conditions at a flow rate of 1.0 mL/min.
Results: Escitalopram oxalate and atazanavir sulphate peaks were eluted at 2.636 and 3.319 minutes and no interference was observed in the diluent blank at the respective retention times, indicating that the developed method was specific and selective. A linear relationship was found for escitalopram oxalte (2.5 - 15 µg mL-1) and atazanavir sulphate (30 - 150.0 µg mL-1), with coefficient of regression greater than 0.999. Based on the RSD values (< 2.0%) and recovery results (> 98%), the developed method is accurate. At room temperature and in the refrigerated conditions, standard and sample solutions of escitalopram oxalate and atazanavir sulphate have been found to be stable for 48 hours.
Conclusion: The established method is linear, precise, accurate, specific, and robust in the studied concentration range. Accordingly, the proposed method can be applied to the analysis of experimental tablet formulations as well as bulk drug samples.
Cite this article:
Manoharreddy Epuru, Ravinder Reddy V, Nagarjuna Reddy P, Kishore Ravada, Jajula Kashanna, V V N Kishore Pilli. RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Escitalopram Oxalate and Atazanavir Sulphate in Bulk and Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry 2023; 16(2):163-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2023.00027
Manoharreddy Epuru, Ravinder Reddy V, Nagarjuna Reddy P, Kishore Ravada, Jajula Kashanna, V V N Kishore Pilli. RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Escitalopram Oxalate and Atazanavir Sulphate in Bulk and Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry 2023; 16(2):163-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-4150.2023.00027 Available on: https://ajrconline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-11
1. Roger C (2012) Reducing the “pill burden”. Can Med Assoc J 184: E117-E118.
2. Holdon DB, Dionisio AA, John AS, Michael ER (2012) The selective serotonin inhibitor, escitalopram, enhances inhibition of prepotent responding and spatial reversal learning. J Psychopharmacol. 26(11): 1443-1455.
3. Claus B, Connie S (2004) Escitalopram: a unique mechanism of action. Int J Psychiatry Clin Pract. 8 (1): 1-3.
4. Edinoff AN, Akuly HA, Hanna TA, Ochoa CO, Patti SJ, Ghaffar YA, Kaye AD, Viswanath O, Boyer AG, Cornett EM, Kaye AM (2021) Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and Adverse Effects: A Narrative Review. Neurol Int 13(3): 387-401.
5. Aarti R, John L, Peter K (2003) Atazanavir sulphate. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2: 857-858.
6. Katherine FC, Sohita D, Susan JK (2009) Atazanavir: a review of ots use in the management of HIV-1 injection. Drugs. 69(8): 107-140.
7. Stylianos A, Aikaterini A, Maria S (2013) HIV infection and depression. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 68(2): 96-109.
8. Seema S, Bhavesh P (2017) Determination of Escitalopram Oxalate and L-Methylfolate in Tablet by Spectrophotometric and Reverse Phase High-performance Liquid Chromatographic Methods. J Chromatogr Sci. 55(5): 550-555.
9. Nilesh D, Santosh G, Shweta S, Kailash B (2008) Simultaneous HPTLC Determination of Escitalopram Oxalate and Clonazepam in Combined Tablets. Chromatographia. 67: 487-490.
10. Wrushali AP, Shivrani WN, Bhushan RG, Ravindra LB, Jagdish VM (2021) RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of escitalopram oxalate and flupentixol HCl in tablet dosage form. GSC Biol Pharm Sci. 14(01): 169-174.
11. Rajendra BK, Dinesh DS, Kamalesh KG, Megha GK (2013) Stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of escitalopram oxalate and clonazepam. J Chromatogr Sci. 51(6): 490-495.
12. Christine G, Christoph H, Wolfgang B, Ekkehard H (2007) Determination of citalopram and escitalopram together with their active main metabolites desmethyl (es-)citalopram in human serum by column switching high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and spectrophotometric detection. J Chromatogr B. 848(2): 391-394.
13. Dey S, Subhasis PS, Suresh Babu N, Murthy PN, Panda SK (2017) Development and validation of a stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for estimation of atazanavir sulfate in bulk. J Pharm Anal. 7(2): 134-140.
14. Adrienne CM, Isadore K (2010) An efficient HPLC method for the quantitative determination of atazanavir in human plasma suitable for bioequivalence and pharmacokinetic studies in healthy human subjects. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 53(1): 13-8.
15. Sathish Kumar K, Sujana K, Prameela Rani A (2012) New validated RP-HPLC method for the determination of Atazanavir Sulphate in Bulk and Dosage form. Der Pharma Chem. 4(3): 1305-1310.
16. Colombo S, Guignard N, Marzolini C, Telenti A, Biollaz J, Decosterd LA (2004) Determination of the new HIV-protease inhibitor atazanavir by liquid chromatography after solid-phase extraction. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 810(1): 25-34.
17. Murali Krishna VVNM, Sumathi Rao V, Venugopal VSN, Bhaskara PVM (2018) Simultaneous determination of impurities of atazanavir and ritonavir in tablet dosage form by using reversed-phase ultra performance liquid chromatographic method. J Chromatogr Sci. 56(3): 270-284.
18. Charushila HB, Shivanand NH (2013) Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of Atazanavir sulphate in bulk and dosage form. Drug Invent. Today. 5(2):81-86.
19. ICH Q2 (R1) (2005): Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology. Accessed on 26 Apr 2022. Available from: https://database.ich.org/sites/default/files/Q2_R1__Guideline.pdf.
20. USFDA (2015) Guidance for industry: Analytical procedures and methods validation for drugs and biologics. Accessed on 26 Apr 2022. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/files/drugs/published/Analytical-Procedures-and-Methods-Validation-for-Drugs-and-Biologics.pdf.